- All Projects
- Construction Safety
- Conversations@the Studio
- Cross Currents
- Dead Heat
- Deep Sleep
- Magnesium Light
- Open City
- Rio Tinto Volcanic 3D
- Voyage to the Planets
- Artistic Directors: Dennis Del Favero , Elwira Titan, Peter Weibel
- Programmers: Som Guan, Rob Lawther, Alex Ong
- Single channel video installation
- Computer graphic installation. 4 minutes (interactive). BW. Stereo.
Based on a radical reworking of an episode in the 1835 novella Lenz by Georg Buchner, the project explores consciousness as an atmosphere, a setting rather than an object located in a mind. The original novella dramatizes a journey across the Vogesen mountains during which time the narrator, immersed in the vertiginous landscape, is unable to distinguish their own body from that of the natural world, losing their sense of self in the process. Buchner’s fragment operates as an implicit challenge to human centred notions of consciousness crystallised in the Enlightenment philosophies of his time. Using a particle generation graphics engine, Vogesen reconfigures this challenge, creating a series of computer-generated atmospheres, whose undulating refrains articulate a machine consciousness, interwoven by a human voice, evoking how human and non-human consciousness are a function of each other.
Vogesen is an experimental component for the Nebula project, supported under the Australian Research Council’s Discovery Grant scheme.
- Art Cologne (Galerie Brigitte Schenk), Cologne, 2016
- GLOBALE, ZKM Museum of Contemporary Art, Karlsruhe, 2015